Monday, October 25, 2010

Silent Christians

I'm not known for my gentle manner. Or my eloquent way with words. I am known, however, for saying exactly what I think, exactly when I think it. I am fully aware that this is something I need to work on. 

I feel as though lately my faith has been called into question more than the norm. Maybe not so much my faith, but the way I express it. I don't always do things the right way, or say things the correct way, but I do have the best of intentions. I can be brash, quick to anger, and sometimes a little harsh. And when someone is derogatory towards my God, I get angry. In the aftermath, when I have calmed down, I know that anger was not the appropriate response. I don't know as though anger has ever moved anyone to Christ. But I do know that I should welcome people who question my thoughts, my actions. Those are the people that hold me accountable. Even if they do not realize it.

On the flip side, Christianity is not solely about "being quiet and taking it". It's frustrating to me that the majority of Americans are familiar with the verses instructing us to be meek, such as "turning the other cheek" and "love is kind", but interpret that to mean that we are to simply be silent, accept all, and assure everyone that although we may not choose that path, it's ok for them.  Christians are not meant to be a silent group of people! We are meant to speak out. America is quickly becoming a country where freedom of speech and religion is encouraged for all faiths other than Christianity.

Ephesians 4:25“Therefore, laying aside falsehood, speak truth, each one of you, with his neighbor, for we are members of one another.”

Sometimes the truth is not the easiest thing to hear.

Colossians 3:16“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.”

Yes, you read that right. It actually said "admonish".  It also said "teach".

But let's not let this go to our heads. We, as Christians, are required to lift up our brothers and sisters in Christ, both emotionally and spiritually. We are also required to speak out when we see a fellow believer slipping away. Our choice, however, lies in how we decide to speak out. We need to choose wisely. I need to choose wisely. I ask anyone who reads this to hold me to the highest standards when it comes to professing my faith. I NEED to hear that challenging viewpoint, and I need to hear it often, or else it is far too easy for me to slip into silence in order to avoid ruffling anyones feathers. But I also need reminders that speaking out is to be done with grace and love.

A silent Christian is an ineffective Christian.

2 comments:

  1. Great read.

    "Blessed are you when men shall revile you and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for My sake."

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, now, who marked the "peed my pants" on this one?! I try to be serious and that's what I get.
    Jokesters! All of you! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Whaddya think about that?