Saturday, August 6, 2011

Little White Lies

I came to a startling conclusion today. I lie to my daughter. Like....constantly. It's never anything major. Or mean-spirited. It's the little white lies that keep the peace. And I always leave myself a technical truth to it. Just in case that counts with God.

Like when it's bedtime and I tell her that Dora is sleeping. Is Dora really sleeping? I'm sure somewhere, at some time, Dora sleeps. And I didn't say she's sleeping now.

Or when I take my gluten-sensitive daughter through the McDonald's drive through. She gets a smoothie, which, incidentally is the only thing she can have there, other than a salad. And who really wants to see a toddler try to eat a salad in the car seat? I get my Extra Value Meal #2 fix. And when my daughter is begging for fries, I state "I don't have any fries" insert lengthy pause here "for you". How mean is that?? But, seriously, I really wanted those fries.

Then there's bathtime, where she insists the water runs the whole time. As she takes 30 minute baths, you can see the problem. So I say "The water is gone".  Then under my breath I mutter "from the faucet at this time".

She also tends to get reeeeeally whiney if in the car for too long. Can I be blamed if I ask "Do you see the cows?!". There are no cows in the visual area. But you'll note I didn't say there were. I just asked if she could see any. And it distracts her for a good 45 seconds.

I sometimes tell her that the batteries aren't working in an incredibly annoying toy. Of course they're not working. I took them out.

She's gonna catch on to me one of these days. And I'm going to feel like the worst mother ever. So from here on out, I promise not to lie to my daughter.

Unless my sanity requires it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whaddya think about that?